March 30th, 2009 – It was one year ago today that Keoni Lucas was killed in a car accident in Santa Monica, CA. I am going to go ahead and speak for all the people who had a chance to know Keoni and say that his presence on this planet is sorely missed. Keoni was the guy you always wanted to be like but just couldn’t quite pull off. Sure, you might have had some of the qualities that Keoni had but no one I have ever met put all of them together in so many special ways. Nope…there is/was only one Keoni Lucas and no matter how hard we tried we failed because we always seemed to come up short in one of the following ways:
- We weren’t part Hawaiian like Keoni
- We couldn’t surf or windsurf as well as Keoni
- We weren’t as good-looking as Keoni
- We weren’t so damned nice and kind to EVERYONE we meet. We are human but Keoni was Mr Aloha!
- Our dad wasn’t Jimmy Lucas
- We didn’t grow up as a sand/ocean child who is also part fish in Hanalei, Kauai
- We could never wear some of the clothes Keoni wore regularly and made look damn cool
- Our laugh doesn’t make other people laugh their ass off
- We can’t get in to every club we go to for free just because we say “Aloha” to the bouncer
- We aren’t half as loyal to our friends as he is to all his friends
- We don’t have Keoni’s work ethic and desire to succeed in all things
- We don’t have those crazy blue wolf eyes like Keoni
- the list goes on and on
The title of this post is “More Champagne!” because Keoni loved to drink Champagne which I think is because it reminded him of all the happy times with his mother Michele, his sister Maile and his step dad Mark. Whenever we celebrated Keoni’s birthday or a special occasion we would order Champagne and when the bottle was almost gone Keoni would always stand up and say “More Champagne!” with a giant smile. I will never forget that even though we had so much champagne I should of. Now…whenever I am with friends celebrating a special occasion I like to order champagne and shout out the same words in his honor. You should try it. It will make you smile guaranteed!
Keoni was a special person and we all miss him very much but we also learned a lot from him and those memories will be with us forever. Rest in piece my friend and I hope the waves are nice today wherever you might be.
P.S. – Below is the Bali surf portion of the video we put together for Keoni’s memorial. If you haven’t seen it you must check it out.